Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pinterest Review - Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Cream Cheese Pound Cake***
Pinterest is addicting, but I've noticed that I can spend a good portion of my day repinning great ideas from Pinterest and actually do very little of them.  I've gotten better and I've started to try some of the recipes, crafts, etc that I've pinned, but I haven't even scratched the surface really.  So when I actually try something, I'll try to give a little review, because between you and me there's a lot of crap on Pinterest and I've had quite a few failures/disappointments.

Well, this review is most certainly not a disappointment (unless you're on a diet...like I am...).  I pinned this recipe from the blog Elizabeth's Edible Experience and it certainly looked good...and fattening.  We had a guest for dinner this evening so I made a dessert for the occasion and prayed that it would not flop.  I've had quite a few baking and cooking failures since moving to 7000+ feet.  High altitude baking has been a challenge, even with adjustments, but this turned out perfectly.

If I had looked a bit closer at Elizabeth's pin and saw that it was a recipe that originally came from Southern Living I would have realized that it would have been yummy...

...And the fattening part, well, let's just say that the app I'm using to track my calories (that's another post!), tells me that this recipe is 334 calories per serving.  I cut the bundt cake into 16 pieces so they weren't overly big.  You could easily take a 500-600 calorie slice and not bat an eye.  I also substituted margarine for butter and 1/3 fat cream cheese instead of full calorie stuff.  I'm sure my little pieces would have been much worse if I hadn't and I didn't want to spend another 20 minutes on the treadmill (or more) to make sure I didn't bust my calorie allotment today!

Honestly, I thought that cake was rich and absolutely sinful even with the changes I made.  Maybe some Egg Beaters instead of the 6 eggs would reduce it more, but I guess moderation is the key.  Here's the Southern Living recipe:

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

1 1/2 cups butter (or margarine), softened
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese (I used reduced fat), softened
3 cups sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
3 c flour
6 eggs

Cream together the butter and cream cheese.  Add the sugar and vanilla and mix.  Add the salt and eggs and mix.  Finally, add in the flour a little at a time so you don't have more of it covering your kitchen than in the bowl.

Pour into a prepared (I used flour spray) bundt pan. Bake at 300 degrees (F) for 1 hour and 40 minutes (yes, you read that right).

Allow to cool before inverting to a plate.

We enjoyed our cake with some fresh strawberries.

So I rate this Pinterest pin a great success.  It's a keeper!

***Sorry about the poor picture-taking skills displayed here.  I'm not that bad of a photographer, but food is a challenge to me.  Perhaps I'll get better with age!

No comments:

Post a Comment