Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Happy Holidays...Did That Make You Mad?

This wasn't my ideal first blog post.  I've started several others and was tweaking them when I decided to post this.  I intended something on baking, or perhaps a craft for a first post, but this is about homemaking as well and I couldn't hold off.

I've noticed an alarming trend over the past decade (maybe longer) and that's this alleged "War on Christmas".  Do you really think that someone is waging a war on Christmas?  Or could it be that people are trying to be more considerate of others?  These people act like saying "Happy Holidays" is some kind of dirty phrase and is deeply offensive.  Perhaps they have forgotten that the word "holiday" comes from "holy day."  Is Christmas not a holy day?

You can't...scratch that...you shouldn't force employees to say "Merry Christmas," because all of your employees aren't necessarily Christians, just as you (if "you" are a Christian) would not appreciate being told to wish everyone a Happy Hanukkah or Kwanza.  So why do these people try to force their own views on other people?  One word...intolerance.

I've noticed that the sort of "Christians" that claim that there is a war on Christianity and Christmas are the very same that belittle other faiths and act anything but Christian.  They frankly should be ashamed of themselves.  I know Christ would be shaking his head at them in disappointment.  Not that I know what Christ thinks, but in a time of "WWJD?" I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be this.

I was an Equal Opportunity Representative for 5+ years in the Army.  I have started saying Happy Holidays much more since then, but it wasn't because I was forced to.  The Army is a beautiful mixture of people of different races, religions, nationalities, etc...and so is America.  The difference is that in the Army we are all forced to play nice.  Sure there are people that don't, but violating E.O. policy can kill your career or even "get ya gone" from the service altogether.  Hatred still exists within the military's ranks, but it's not as bad as what I see in civilian life.

What does this have to do with a "homemaking" blog?  I've appreciated and celebrated with people of various backgrounds and it's a beautiful experience.  One that I want my children to have as well.  I want to be that good example for my children.  I want them to celebrate the birth of Christ, and I want them to do it joyfully...but I want them to do it respectfully as well.  Christ was not disrespectful.

Our Founding Fathers knew the risks of religion in politics.  They knew there must be a separation of Church and State for the good of the country.  There had been religious persecution and our people had to be protected from it.  Now this isn't politics, but these same people that claim a "War on Christmas" have been trying time and again to legislate morality.  Which morality?  From which religion?  When you legislate based on religion what happens when time passes and your flavor of Christianity or religion is no longer the dominant form?  You'll be the one being discriminated against...or at least your descendants if they keep your faith.  I'm sure they'll thank you for that one!

But this isn't about legislation, however I was trying to make a point with it.  If we can only learn to love and even embrace each others' differences the world would be a much better place.  And don't we want to make the world a better place for our children?

If you want to say "Merry Christmas" to someone, say "Merry Christmas," but don't be offended if they wish you a "Happy Holidays."  Don't read into it some "war" against your faith.  They aren't reading your "Merry Christmas" as a war on them, so why turn a peaceful time of year into a time strife?  Because you're defending your religion?  No you aren't.  Your religion can stand on its own.

I find the whole "War on Christmas" so against the beliefs of Christianity and a time of peace.  Those hate-mongers that started this phrase should be ashamed of themselves.  Truly ashamed.

What do you want your children to learn?  How do you want them to fit into society?  Do you want to set them up for failure?  You don't have to fear other religions.  You only need to fear if you lack faith in your own, and then it is not that religion's fault, but your own.  Be strong in your faith, but be tolerant of others and respectful to them as you wish them to be respectful to you.  If you believe there is a "War on Christmas" and believe that you are strong in your faith you're wrong.  If you are truly strong in your faith, you would not fear such a made up "war."

What Would Jesus Do? (WWJD?)...remember the Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have done to you.**

Stop the hatred and have a Happy Holiday!  Your children are watching!

**"Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.  This is the law and the prophets." - New American Bible, Matthew 7:12 

1 comment: